1.in fact和actually 译为“实际上/事实上”
1)用来修正前边说的话
--I hear that you are a doctor – actually, I’m a dentist. ——我听说你是个医生——实际上,我是个牙医。
It may sound very straightforward to you, but in fact it’s complicated. 这对你来说可能听起来很简单,但实际上很复杂。
2)提供更加详细的或意想不到的信息
I didn't fail the exam; in fact I did rather well! 我没有考不及格,事实上,我考得不错!
His departure, in fact, went almost unremarked. 事实上,他的离去几乎没被注意到。
The lecture was so boring that I actually fell asleep before the speaker had finished. 讲座太无聊了,演讲者还没讲完我就睡着了。
I have got a new job. Actually, they have just appointed me as their area sales manager. 我找到了一份新工作。 事实上,他们刚刚任命我为他们的地区销售经理。
2. indeed 强调陈述句,译为“确实/的确”
Indeed, it could be the worst environmental disaster in Europe this century. 确实,这可能是本世纪欧洲最严重的环境灾难。
It is indeed a remarkable achievement. 这的确是非凡的成就
We live in strange times indeed. 我们确实生活在一个奇怪的时代。
3. virtually 没有100%,但实际上有99%
Virtually all cooking was done over coal-fired ranges. 事实上所有的烹饪都是在烧煤的炉灶上完成的。(也有一些些例外)
He virtually admitted he was guilty. 他实际上已承认自己有罪。(没有明说,但差不多是)
This year's results are virtually the same as last year's. 今年的结果几乎和去年的一样。
That wine stain on my shirt has virtually disappeared. 我衬衫上的酒渍几乎消失了。